Do not administer the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine to individuals with a known history of a severe allergic reaction (e.g., anaphylaxis) to any component of the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine.
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
- Management of Acute Allergic Reactions: Appropriate medical treatment to manage immediate allergic reactions must be immediately available in the event an acute anaphylactic reaction occurs following administration of the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine.
Monitor Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine recipients for the occurrence of immediate adverse reactions according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/managing-anaphylaxis.html).
- Altered Immunocompetence: Immunocompromised persons, including individuals receiving immunosuppressant therapy, may have a diminished immune response to the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine.
- Limitations of Vaccine Effectiveness: The Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine may not protect all vaccinated individuals.
Adverse reactions reported in a clinical trial following administration of the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine include injection site pain, headache, fatigue, myalgia, nausea, fever, injection site erythema and injection site swelling. In clinical studies, severe allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis, have been reported following the administration of the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine.
Additional adverse reactions, some of which may be serious, may become apparent with more widespread use of the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine.
Reporting Adverse Events and Vaccine Administration Error
The vaccination provider enrolled in the federal COVID-19 Vaccination Program is responsible for mandatory reporting of the listed events following Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine administration to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS):
- Vaccine administration errors whether or not associated with an adverse event,
- Serious adverse events (irrespective of attribution to vaccination),
- Cases of Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome (MIS) in adults,
- Cases of COVID-19 that result in hospitalization or death.
Instructions for Reporting to VAERS
The vaccination provider enrolled in the federal COVID-19 Vaccination Program should complete and submit a VAERS form to FDA using one of the following methods below. Reports should include the words “Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine EUA” in the description section of the report as the first line.
- Complete and submit the report online: https://vaers.hhs.gov/reportevent.html, or
- If you are unable to submit this form electronically, you may fax it to VAERS at 1-877-721-0366. If you need additional help submitting a report you may call the VAERS toll free information line at 1-800-822-79671-800-822-7967 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Report adverse events to Janssen Biotech, Inc. by calling 1-800-565-40081-800-565-4008 or provide a copy of the VAERS form by faxing 1-215-293-9955.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION
- Pregnancy: Available data on Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine administered to pregnant women are insufficient to inform vaccine-associated risks in pregnancy.
- Lactation: Data are not available to assess the effects of Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine on the breastfed infant or on milk production/excretion.
DOSING AND SCHEDULE
The Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine is administered intramuscularly as a single dose (0.5 mL).
There are no data available on the use of the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine to complete a vaccination series initiated with another COVID-19 vaccine.
Please read Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers Administering Vaccine (Vaccination Providers) including full EUA Prescribing Information available at www.JanssenCOVID19Vaccine.com/EUA-factsheet.